Monday, February 24, 2014

Surround Yourself With That Which You Aspire To Be

Is your life filled with positive, supportive people? Or do you have toxic people in your life who bring you down with their negativity? Do you know people who undervalue your choices and goals? Sometimes these people can even turn out to be our family and friends.

While you may not be able to completely escape a person’s negativity (especially if it’s a family member), you can incorporate more positive people into your life. Sometimes our internal efforts to stay positive can buckle, especially when there is a constant negative influence in our life. This is why it’s important to surround yourself with supportive influences to help strengthen your resolve against the discouraging ones. You may be asking, “Well, where do I find these people?”

With the Internet, it’s as easy as ever! So you want to eat healthier and lose weight? There are TONS of blogs out there that pertain to health and weight loss. Many people blog about their own personal experiences and explain how they reached their goals. Find these blogs and visit them on a regular basis. Soak up the information. Once you’ve gained that information, take the next step and act on it. When you know which foods are healthy and how to prepare them, you can start surrounding yourself with those foods. Start stocking up on fruits and vegetables instead of potato chips and pop. You will never reach your goal if all you have in your cupboards is junk food!

Look around your area for people who can help you in your journey. Do you want to learn a particular skill? Visit your city’s web page and see if there is a group you could contact about a skill you want to learn. Find out if your local community college offers classes on that particular skill. I’m sure people would be more than happy to share their knowledge with you.

If you can’t find people in your area to support you, join online support groups. There are forums full of people out there who are trying to achieve the exact same thing you are trying to acheive. They’re also full of people who have been successful at the very same thing you’re trying to do. Seek them out!

And don’t forget books! Visit your local library and stock up on books on whatever subject it is you want to learn. Can’t find the book you want at your library? Ask your librarian about interlibrary loan. If a different library has the book you want, you can ask to have it delivered to your library. You can also find used books really cheaply on the internet as well. I’ve used Amazon to find used books for a much lower price than if I were to buy them new. Amazon also has many e-books you can choose from. All of the e-books I’ve looked up for myself have always been cheaper than the physical book. Sometimes they’re even free!

I love bookmarking sites. I love knowing that if I want certain information, I can come back to it at any time. Once I found out the shortcut for bookmarking (CTRL-D by the way), I was good to go! What I did next was bookmark sites and blogs that are in line with my goals. For instance, I’d like to eat more whole, organic foods, and I’d like to know how exactly to do that on a budget. So I went to Google, typed “organic food on a budget” and bookmarked the first page of sites I found. Now that they’re all bookmarked, I can learn all I want about eating organic food on a budget. Then I can take steps to act on the information and use it to change my life.

If you want to reach your goals, you must surround yourself with that which you aspire to be.

I have so much more to say about this topic. I will be compiling a list that touches more deeply on the points in this post, so be on the lookout for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment